Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Horse Named Darrell


Modern days call for modern means of rounding up the goats and cattle.  My modern horse is named "Darrell".  I inherited Darrell from one of our lease hunters whose name is (surprise!) Darrell.  Darrell would leave his 4-wheeler on the ranch year-round.  He told us to utilize the 4-wheeler and keep it in good shape during off-season as opposed to it collecting dust and not starting up each hunting season when he would use it.  I claimed it since the other ranch 4-wheelers are pretty much spoken for.  

Darrell (the wheeler, not the hunter) is my means of transportation on the ranch.  It comes in handy when hauling trash, feed and even Buddy Dog.  Buddy likes to ride in the back basket.  The front basket is the perfect size to hold my care package, camera and tools. Darrell is equipped with a clock which comes in handy when I'm out and about and supposed to pick up Sam at a particular time from wherever he is clearing brush on the bulldozer.  

Last fall, Darrell (the hunter) gave me full ownership of Darrell (the wheeler).  The hunter said he prefers to travel in the comfort of his pickup to and from the blinds.  "There is more room in the back of the pickup than on the back of the 4-wheeler to haul the big bucks back to camp."  

Darrell (the wheeler, not the hunter) and I have traveled many miles together and hope to travel many more.  It is especially nice to have when I travel cross-country to the river.  Thanks, Darrell (the hunter), for the best kind of horse a woman could ask for!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment