Thursday, January 30, 2014

From Kodak to Canon

Cameras have come a long way since my Kodak Instamatic 110.  I believe my parents gave it to me for my 12th birthday.  The film cartridge was offered with 12 or 24 frames.  Depending on how much money I had saved determined which cartridge I was able to purchase.  I only took pictures of important things like dogs, cats, my poster of Garfield, Mama's dang birds, etc.  It was always with excitement to see the developed prints of which most looked like nothing I thought I had captured on film.  There were a lot of images with my finger covering half the objects of my important pictures.

Armed with a pack of candy cigarettes, I would spend hours outside looking for the opportunity to take the perfect picture.  I had to discipline myself to be patient since I was limited with the amount of frames on the cartridge.  Peacocks were my favorite subjects --- especially when the males were strutting their tail feathers.  To capture the beauty of peacocks was always my idea of the perfect picture.  And I did!  I was so excited about it when I told Mama about my ability to be still and be patient.  It was all good until my excitement caused me to pop out the cartridge BEFORE using all the frames.  Exposed film meant no perfect peacock picture. 

Fast forward thirty-seven years and I am now the proud owner of a Canon Rebel T3i 600D.  (I had to look on the box to remember what kind of camera it is.)  This camera is amazing!  I am still taking pictures of important things like Buddy Dog, Gray Cat, goats, the outside kitties, house shoes, etc. No worries of overexposing or developing film. And I just hit delete if I don't like the looks of the picture.  I am still working on the perfect peacock picture..... :)



No comments:

Post a Comment