Saturday, December 7, 2013

Busting Water Troughs

Baby, it is cold outside!  I stepped out on the front porch to feed the cat clan and was chilled in less than 10 seconds.  Thermometer shows to be 23 degrees at the moment. 

This is the kind of weather nobody wants to be out in no matter the layers of clothing.  Sam looks like he is preparing to climb Mt. Everest when he walks out the door.  And even though it gets rather warm in the house, ET is wearing flannel pants, thermal top, socks, vest and a long robe. (His robe reminds me of the Harry Potter movies.) 

I will have to confirm with Sam but I believe there are at least nine water troughs scattered throughout the ranch.  The water can quickly freeze under these weather conditions.  Sam was still teaching at JISD when I had my first experience in "busting water troughs" at the ranch.  It was imperative that the livestock get water and so I left my work place early to ensure the animals were able to drink water.

Armed with an ax and a shovel, I proceeded to start busting the troughs closest to the house.  I swear the sweat on my brow was turning to frost as I heaved that ax over and over again to break through the ice.  I encountered Shannon's horse at one trough and he practically pushed me out of the way when he could stick his mouth in the hole I made at his trough.  Gate latches were frozen as well and I had to use rocks to get to the latches to open the gates. 

By the time I made the circle and got back to the house, the water was beginning to freeze in the first troughs I busted open.  Hoping the animals got to water while the trough was open was all I could hope for.  I wearily returned the ax and shovel to the tool shed thinking, "Either I really love this man and his ranch or I'm just plain crazy.  Or maybe both." 

Sam will make the rounds today armed with an ax and a shovel to check the water troughs.  ET and I will keep the home fires burning.  Stay warm, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment