Sunday, December 29, 2013

Television Reception

My family started out as "townies" and then moved to the country when I was almost 9 years old.  In town we had television reception that offered a clear picture and more than three channels.  Upon moving to the country, our TV set served as a dust collector sitting in the den.  We lived in a valley where absolutely no air waves could reach us.  It didn't take long for us to give up trying to watch cartoons on Saturday mornings. 

Daddy, with the help of a local TV man, rigged up an antennae on the south side of the house.  It was one of those antennae shaped like a metal refrigerator rack.  We parked our butts in front of our beloved television set complete with a dusty screen and prepared to be entertained by the wonders of TV land.  Like magic we had an image of.....something fuzzy.  Adjustments needed to be made.  We formed a relay team with Daddy moving the antennae, Marshall watching the screen and me telling Dennis which way to turn the antennae.  Every once in a while we would get a clear  picture on one of three channels.  And it was usually something like golf.  We had better luck in the cold season to get a clear picture.  Mama and I actually watched the television premier of "Gone with the Wind" with Daddy on stand-by to adjust the antennae during commercials.

And now we have hundreds of channels to pick from with the help of satellites and modern technology.  The images are clear enough to think the action is actually taking place in the room in which you are watching television.  I should be ashamed of myself when I think, "Dang.  There isn't anything on TV this evening."  And then I come across a rerun of "Let's Make a Deal" or "The Price is Right" and think, "Hmm.  I don't believe I've seen this episode.  It must have been one of those I missed because I couldn't endure a fuzzy image of Monty or Bob."  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment